WS04: Preparing future engineers for the convergence of AI and simulation (Altair)
Data science elevates simulation driven design to a new level. A control design process can be drastically shortened by an AI based system identification while the flexibility increases.
The Workshop utilizes a ball balancing table to demonstrate this transition away from a traditional physics- based approach. It builds the basis of a project-based learning class that let students explore the possibilities and limitations that arises with data science.
The new approach will be introduced in the context of different approaches of modern control design:
* The simulation-based approach uses digital twins of various complexities: linear, nonlinear and full 3D based twins - which can be replaces by the real system finally.
* The data scienced based approach uses a short set of data to teach an AI based identification of the dynamic system. The results will lead in a control configuration that can be applied on the real system directly.
A straight comparison of flexibility, stability and performance demonstrates the power of AI based control design.
http://www.altair.com/ is a global technology company that provides software and cloud solutions in the areas of simulation, high-performance computing (HPC), and artificial intelligence (AI). Altair enables organizations across broad industry segments to compete more effectively in a connected world while creating a more sustainable future.
http://www.altairuniversity.com/ supports universities and faculty to prepares future engineers to drive decisions leveraging the convergence of simulation and data science. Our industry proven tools with a unified user experience make coordinated curricula even more efficient. As part of the Academic Program:
* We provide free software to students and student teams worldwide.
* Our comprehensive learning library enables users to explore and experience product development techniques that go beyond state of the art.
* Universities benefit from our compelling course-based packages.
* Altair's active community forums give access to our global network of experts.
Dr. Armin Veitl, Senior Director Global Academic Programs, Based out of Germany – Stuttgart
Armin Veitl currently leads Altair's global academic program. In this role, he combines all activities in the regions to promote teaching and learning with the latest simulation technologies. Prior to his current position, he supported Altair's global indirect business as Technical Director. From 2016 to 2018, he led the technical team in Greater China from our regional office in Shanghai. He gained his technical expertise through numerous service projects in the field of lightweight design in the automotive and aerospace industries for German and European customers. He joined Altair in 2000 after completing his studies in multi-body dynamics at the Technical University of Munich with a PhD.
Livio Mariano, Director, Math &Systems, Based out of Italy – Torino
Livio Mariano work in the field of Model-Based Development at Altair Engineering. With his experience of more than 10 years in the applied mathematics and systems domain, he hold the global responsibility for business development.
In his previous positions he gained knowledge in design of experiments and data analysis. He earned a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and a master's degree in mechanical engineering with specialization in Mechatronics and Robotics at Polytechnic University of Milan.
|No contributions were assigned to this session.|